Simple ways to help children want to read
There are several ways a parent can help a child’s reading growth:
- Provide a good example by reading yourself and reading often to your child.
- Provide varied reading material, with some for reading enjoyment and some with information about hobbies and interests.
- Encourage activities such as hobbies that require reading and following instructions.
- Establish a reading time on a regular basis.
- Write notes to your school-age child and encourage written responses.
- Ask your child to read to you as well as younger siblings.
As parents we spend so much time thinking about material “things” to give children as gifts. What can be more meaningful, than giving them a key to all the knowledge known by mankind? Encourage them to read a book and watch their imagination and creativity grow.